10 Outdoor Advertising Facts
1. Outdoor advertising has the lowest cost per thousand
OOH has a lower cost per thousand than any other type of advertising. Outdoor advertising costs 80% less than television or newspaper ads, and 50% less than radio ads.
3. Outdoor advertising viewership is high
OOH media viewership is high. Three-quarters of total U.S. adults have noticed advertising on static billboards, digital billboards, sides of public buses, bus shelters, taxi cabs, commuter rails, subways or any street level advertising such as kiosks or newspaper stands in the past month; viewership among travelers is 84%.
4. Outdoor advertising motivates consumer action
Out-of-home ads motivate action. OOH media has prompted 4 in 10 viewers to visit a store or restaurant they saw advertised or watching a TV show.
5. Outdoor advertising happens where purchase decisions are made
Over two-thirds (69%) of travelers make purchase decisions outside of their home either frequently or sometimes.
6. Outdoor advertising causes consumer foot traffic
Over 1 in 4 (26%) have immediately visited a store, business or restaurant specifically because they saw a billboard or other out-of-home advertisement.
7. Outdoor advertising causes online traffic
Nearly 1 in 4 (26%) adults who have viewed a billboard or other out-of-home media in the past month have visited a website they've seen advertised.
8. Outdoor advertising also drives TV & radio traffic
4 in 10 (40%) OOH media viewers have watched a television program after seeing it advertised on a billboard or other out-of-home medium; 23% have tuned to a radio station advertised.
9. Outdoor advertising viewers aren't just drivers
Over half, (54%) of U.S. adults have walked in a town, city or downtown area in the past month. The mean time spent walking per week is 3 hours and 52 minutes.
10. Outdoor advertising does capitalize on commuter times too
On an average weekday (Monday through Friday) U.S. adults spend 3 hours and 16 minutes on the road or rails; travel is lighter on the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) with an average time spent of 1 hour and 59 minutes.
© 2013 Arbitron Inc